Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My question is if a parent abandons a child to a girlfriend…

Customer Question
My question is if...

My question is if a parent abandons a child to a girlfriend and the girlfriend can the girlfriend get guardianship of the said child to be able to care for that child for doctors and such

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Indiana

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No but it has not been six months but i have really no legal rights to be able to care for her outside of meeting her domestic needs

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Family Law
9/27/2017
Family Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

In such a situation, yes, but a court would need to approve it and likely would where the parent has abandoned and there is no other parent in the picture, and such custody is in the best interests of the child. Kindly let me know if that is fast and acceptable.

Awaiting your reply, thank you!
Don't charge my card again it said five dllars
You charged 31