Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Does a child support conviction affect custody. Ohio

Customer Question
Does a child support...

Does a child support conviction affect custody

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Ohio

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Family Law
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
9/27/2017
Family Lawyer: ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I assume that you're talking about criminal nonsupport of a child. It doesn't automatically affect custody/visitation, but it is certainly relevant. An Ohio family court will utilize the following factors to determine best interests of the child:

• The child's wishes
  • The child's relationship with the parents, siblings, and extended family members
  • The child's adjustment to home, school, and community
  • The mental and physical health of all parties involved
  • Whether parents have regularly made child support payments
  • Which parent is more likely to honor the court-approved visitation and custody order
  • Each parent's willingness to encourage the relationship between the child and the other parent
  • Any history of abuse or domestic violence
  • The geographical proximity of parents

As you can see, child support payments is a factor that is considered in custody matters. And if there's already a custody/visitation order, the other parent can file for a modification of that. The point is that the conviction does not automatically affect custody/visitation, but it is a factor that could be brought up in an initial order or modification.

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars, but note that the rating is what closes out this question, so it is necessary that you do so.

Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

i'm a father of 2 young sons. my ex wife recently began dating a man with a violent felony conviction and did not tell me. My concern is if I file for custody, will a child support conviction prevent me from gaining custody of my sons?

No, it won't prevent you. It is going to be relevant, and you're going to need to be able to explain why this happened, and what you've done since. THe court is going to be making a decision in the best interests of the children, so if it determines that you're still the better parent for them to be with in light of the circumstances, then it can still award the children to you.

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating... (please note that rating closes this question out, so if there's nothing else, please rate it so that I can assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions).

If you can't see the stars, you may need to scroll up / down / left / or right to see them. This is where you rate so that the question will close out.

Hello?

Should I continue to await your response, or may I assist the other customers that are waiting?

My apologies, but I must assist the other customers that are waiting. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Please note that I don't get any credit for the time (~30 minutes now) and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars, but note that the rating is what closes out this question, so it is necessary that you do so.

If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service positively. It's only after you rate that I am credited.

Can you see on your screen where you need to rate it? Note that you may need to press a "submit" button after clicking on the appropriate star rating. This is what I'm waiting on from you. Thanks!

I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.