Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I am a British man engaged to an American woman. I have 2…

Customer Question
I am a British man...
I am a British man engaged to an American woman. I have 2 properties in the UK and significant savings. She has no properties and very significant debt. We are planning on marrying in the US. I want to know what happens to our assets & debts after marriage and about the law surrounding division of existing assets in the case of future acrimony.
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Family Law
9/27/2017
Family Lawyer: KLAW, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
KLAW
KLAW, Lawyer
A lot depends on what state you ultimately reside in after you marry. In the US each state has uniqu divorce and property rules.Generally, in all states, marital property is everything that either of you earned or acquired during your marriage unless you agree otherwise. So, for example, money you earned at work, put in a joint checking account, and used to pay household bills is marital property. So is a car you may buy and make payments on with money from that account.Separate property belongs only to one spouse. There are some differences in how separate property is defined in different states, but the same general rules apply. The most common forms of separate property are:
1) property one spouse owned before the marriage, your bank accounts and asserts and property;
gifts received by one spouse before or during the marriage;
property acquired during the marriage in one spouse's name and never used for the benefit of the other spouse or the marriage;
inheritances received before or during the marriage;
property that the spouses agree in writing is separate, as long as the writing meets your state's standards for that type of agreement (called either a transmutation agreement or a post-nuptial agreement)
property acquired by one spouse using separate property assets with the intention of keeping it separate, and
certain personal injury awards (in general, the portion of the award that repays you for lost earnings is marital property, while any award for pain and suffering is separate).
I hope this clarifies. Please don't forget to rate the question with stars so that I will receive credit and payment for assisting you with your question.
Hi thats great thanks. And what about her debt. She has 120k+ student debt. Am I in any way liable for that after marriage?
No, debts acquired before marriage and seperate, remains separate even after marriage.
Student loan debt acquired before of after marriage, does not become marital debt.