Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Recently i have found out that a temporary restraining order…

Customer Question
Hello, Recently i have found out...
Recently i have found out that a temporary restraining order hearing has been set in regard to my daughter being with held and my not allowing to see or over see her. I had been attempted to be served by what i believe was a processor (he came to my place of residence two times insistent to speak with me, but to no avail seeing as i was not there at the time.) Some days later i went and attempted to retrieve my child from grandparents as was what i thought allowed and possible but faced problems when i tried this. A Police officer, a sheriff i believe dealt with me on the property of my child's mothers parents and has given me information of the above hearing and a copy of some paper work with information of hearing, upon receiving these papers he did say to me that this was not me being served and did not count as so for court purposes. I need to know if that is true, have i been served? thank you very much.
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Family Law
9/27/2017
Family Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 10 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry to read about your difficulties.

You have not been served. However, since you have actual notice of this hearing, it would be prudent to respond to it and make sure to show up for the hearing. If you do not have enough time to file your response, you can still show up for the hearing and ask for continuance--tell the Court that you have not been officially served, that you were given the information that you have by a Police Officer/Sheriff.

Goodluck with your case,