Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I filed for a marriage dissolution in January. The Court

I filed for a marriage...
I filed for a marriage dissolution in January. The Court entered the judgement for the divorce on Jan 20. In the judgement I reserved jurisdiction over spousal support. I filed for spousal support and had a court appearance today. I was married for 10 years and 7 months but the judge only looked at my 4320 factors for the last 9 months (since the dissolution agreement) Am I missing something? I was under the impression that reserved jurisdiction over spousal support meant that my change in living conditions would be compared to the entire marriage, not the 9 months since the divorce.
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: California
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: I couldn't afford a lawyer to assist me with the case, however, I consulted with one and she said I had a case. I am very confused as to why it turned out the way it did in court today.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I'm not sure what else they will need...
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
9/26/2017
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

Did the judge award you temporary support at any time prior to this hearing? What reasons, if any, did he give for terminating your support?

Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
There was never any support ordered. I reserved jurisdiction during the divorce. The divorce was never seen in front of a judge.
Clarification: I have never received spousal support because it was never ordered.
Joycelaw
Joycelaw, Attorney
Phone call session started
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer