Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Child custody in NJ. I'm parent of primary residence. Ex is…

Customer Question
Child custody in NJ...

Child custody in NJ. I'm parent of primary residence. Ex is looking to cause problems with before and aftercare arrangements.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

NJ

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes. We have joint custody. Aftercare facility is stating that this means that either person can make a decision without the other. I say if both don't agree it doesn't happen unless ordered by a judge. Who's right?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Family Law
9/26/2017
Family Lawyer: FamilyAttorney, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
FamilyAttorney

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer. I’m a licensed attorney with 37 years’ extensive experience in family law, trials, appeals, contracts, landlord-tenant, and other types of law.

This is general information and not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed, and no attorney-client relationship is formed. This is for educational purposes only.

Also, I’d like to review your question for a minute and type your answer. If I am not here for a few minutes, that means I am typing your answer. THIS IS NOT YOUR ANSWER YET so please allow me time to type it up for you. It may take a few minutes, so please understand that. Thanks!

If a request for a phone call comes in, it is from the site, not from me. I will be happy to have a phone call with you but only if you want it. If you would like to request a phone call, that’s fine too. There is no pressure and we can stay here if you’d like.

Is there anything in your order or judgment that specifies who has final decision making or who has decision-making authority? Thank you.

No. The court order does say that I am the parent of Primary Residence. It also states that the school or Doctor should call me first in the event of an emergency as I normally handle these things.

Thank you for that information.

The aftercare facility doesn't get to say who has what rights. Only the court can say that and it already has.

Since you are the PPR, the decision should be made by you. In general, once a PPR is chosen, the Courts will give more deference to that parent’s decision-making authority than to the other parent. Also, the PPR is usually the parent who receives child support, while the PAR is usually the parent who pays child support. Finally, the PPR is usually the parent with more responsibility, including the responsibility to keep the PAR informed and matters that impact the child’s overall welfare.

If you are the PPR, the school or doctor calls you first, then you would have final decision making. We spell that out in NY many times, but in NJ, you have that as part of your PPR rights. You're correct and your ex is not. He has to defer to your decision and if he doesn't like it, he has to go to court. Of course, we don't want him to go to court, but you can tell him it's a waste of time bec the court already decided (or you agreed) that you are the PPR, and because of that, you generally have the final decision on the subject.

Does this answer your question?

Please let me know if there’s anything else I can help you with. That includes looking for lawyers. I’m happy to do so! I’m here most of the time (usually at night!) so you can always come back and talk to me (no extra charge) after I’m rated. If I’m not here, I will get an email if you leave me a question.

Please accept my answer, and please rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars (5, 4 or 3 stars, 5 stars would be much appreciated as I ALWAYS strive to give you 5 star service!). This can be found AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you and with your question. I work hard to give you a thorough and honest answer. Please let me know if there is more that I can do to answer your question and if you need more information such as where to find lawyers. If not, I thank you for your rating. I can’t get credit for answering your question without your fair and honest rating. I have given you the benefit of my legal knowledge and 37 years of experience as well as my time. My statistics show that almost 100% of my customers here have been extremely satisfied with my answers as I am always truthful and thorough.

Feel free to come back here for a follow-up question based on this one.
You're welcome to ask follow-up questions at any time, any day after I'm rated, free of charge.

We are not employees of Just Answer but are independent contractors, so your rating is very important to us so that we can be reimbursed for our work. Thank you! I'd rather be given the chance to add more information than be rated negatively, so I thank you for that.

If you want to ask for me specifically another time -- for a new question -- ask for "NYFamilyAttorney ONLY" and I will get the question. Otherwise you can come right back into this room for follow-ups, free of charge.

Best of luck to you and thank you for letting me help you today! Thanks in advance for rating me!

I strive for 5 star service every time, so if there's anything else I can do to earn that, I'm happy to do so.

By the way, I don't know the specific nature of his issue with the aftercare, and other care, but you don't have to go to court to resolve this. You can make the decision and he needs to follow it. You don't have to both agree. Only if he doesn't like what you've decided does it have to go to court, otherwise it does happen the way YOU want it to happen because you have the right to make that decision.

Hi, just checking in to see if you still need help with your question and if my answer was helpful for you or if there is any more information that you need. Let me know if you need names of lawyers and I can help you if you let me know where you live.Thanks!

FamilyAttorney

FamilyAttorney
FamilyAttorney
FamilyAttorney, Lawyer