Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I was wondering what it will take to become guardian of my…

Customer Question
I was wondering what...

I was wondering what it will take to become guardian of my grandchild that is due to be born any day now. The mother and father are willingly giving me custodial consent (temporary)

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Washington

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No The mother is using drugs and is not ready to be responsible for a child.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just that the baby will test positive more likely than not for Heroin and methamphetamines when he is born.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Family Law
9/26/2017
Family Lawyer: LegalGems, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer
I am sorry to hear that your family is having to deal with addiction. Can you please tell me if the parents are married?
No they are not married.
Both parents are willing to give me temporary custody or just custody.

In order for the father to have any legal standing that actually requires the father to establish paternity; that can be done -I'm getting that information and the site I'm accessing keeps crashing; a few minutes please.

Here we go; this can be done by court order, or easier-at the hospital by signing an acknowlegment:

https://www.dshs.wa.gov/esa/faq?field_topic_value=childparents

The department of child services can assist with guardianship but that is generally a permanent arrangement:

https://www.dshs.wa.gov/ca/4300-case-planning/4340-guardianship

otherwise it needs to be established by the courts; but the standard procedure is third party custody;

here are the forms along with instructions.

The parental consent form can be revoked by the parents at any time whereas the first packet requires the court to terminate it.

I hope this helps -enjoy your grandchild!

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

Thank you and take care.

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;

If you have no further questions a positive rating is most appreciated (at no additional cost to you) and allows the site to credit my account for the time spent assisting you!

if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answerand I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Thanks!

The above information is for educational purposes only. A consultation with a private attorney is recommended so they can apply the law to your specific facts, and suggest the best course of action. An attorney can be located here:
http://www.americanbar.org/groups/public_education/public-information/how-do-i-find-a-lawyer-.html
Terms of service can be viewed here: