Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

What steps do I need to take to enforce my divorce decree in…

Customer Question
What steps do I...

What steps do I need to take to enforce my divorce decree in Fort Worth, TX ?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

It is in Fort Worth , Texas. In Tarrant County

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No, I have not? Do I need a lawyer or can I file with the court myself?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The divorce was in 2012 and my ex had 6 months to refinance the house. He has failed to get the house refinanced.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Family Law
9/26/2017
Family Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

The final decree is an order, not unlike any other court order. If a party to whom the order is direct is not in compliance, then your remedy is to file a motion before the court for a rule to show cause. Basically, you are asking the court to hold the ex in contempt of court for failing to comply with the decree, vis a vis refinancing the mortgage on the house.

If the court does find him in contempt then the judge can assess sanctions, your attorney fees, modify the ownership of the house or even order him jailed.

You can file yourself, but an attorney is recommended anytime you go to court.

If you need assistance finding local counsel try Martindale Hubble (site rules prohibit us from referring specific attorneys). Many attorneys themselves use this site to locate attorneys outside their jurisdiction or expertise:

http://www.martindale.com/Find-Lawyers-and-Law-Firms.aspx

It is a huge worldwide database searchable by location and specialty. The attorneys are peer rated. So, they represent the top of the profession.

Please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.