Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I was divorced in 1984 and had bad representation. Lived in…

Customer Question
I was divorced in...

I was divorced in 1984 and had bad representation. Lived in a small town all lawyers knew each other. I was married from 1969 to1984 we had one child. My parents had signed a note so mythen husband could go into business for himself. We were still married at the time but shortly after he went into business he left me and my child. After a couple of years I filed for divorce. I was a mess. I got the house and he got the business. I received $400 a month child support. I think I should have received alimony since we were married for 15 years. My ex is doing very well in his business that my parents helped him get into. I'm in my 70's and would like to know if I can still sue him for alimony? I never remarried and our son is now a grown man. I would appreciate any input.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

The divorce took place in Illinois.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes. Is this free advice. I just want to know if this is possible.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Family Law
9/26/2017
Family Lawyer: JD 1992, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Please allow me several minutes to read your facts and type my response both initially and when you add a follow up question or add facts. Please don't ask "are you there", etc., since when you post it can erase what I am working on. If we are having a conversation unless I tell you I am going offline, I will be here but I may be doing research.

If you receive a notice or email regarding a phone call for an extra price that comes directly from the website and not from me and I have no control over the sending of the notice or email. I don't take part in the telephone program and only work through this format and under your facts this format should be sufficient.

No, this is not free advice. You have pledged to pay an amount for this question although I don't have access to the financial information on what you agreed to pay, etc. I do have a note on the screen that indicates you became a member of the site which means you don't have an extra charge over the membership fee to ask this question and get an answer.

Do you want to continue?

Also, if you want to continue I need to know what state you are in.

Ely, Counselor at Law