Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My husband has a child w/ another woman the child is 8 years…

Customer Question
Okay so my husband...

Okay so my husband has a child w/ another woman the child is 8 years old. Her husband wants to adopt the child and she wants my husband to sign a waiver of interest. Now we have NO proof this child is even my husbands child bc there has not been a DNA test done. I'm trying to figure out what this waiver means

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

She lives in Tennesse

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No she reached out to me today regarding this matter today

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

A few years back she allowed my husband to see the child b.c she was supposed to move to GA well she decided not to and she uprooted him and her other son moved them back to Tenn and expected us to drive 9 hrs to visit him she would never meet. My husband hasn't seen the child in 3 to 4 years

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Family Law
9/26/2017
Family Lawyer: JD 1992, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Please allow me several minutes to read your facts and type my response both initially and when you add a follow up question or add facts. Please don't ask "are you there", etc., since when you post it can erase what I am working on. If we are having a conversation unless I tell you I am going offline, I will be here but I may be doing research.

If you receive a notice or email regarding a phone call for an extra price that comes directly from the website and not from me and I have no control over the sending of the notice or email. I don't take part in the telephone program and only work through this format and under your facts this format should be sufficient.

Is there a specific question with which I could assist?

I just need advise on if he should sign the form and if he doesnt want will happen?

Whether he should sign the paper is a personal decision. It means he is giving up any rights he may have to his son and that's a decision only he can make.

If he doesn't then the mother can try to get his rights terminated or she can ask the court to make a paternity finding and order him to start paying child support and also allow him to have visitation.

If he decides he is willing to give up his rights then he would want to get a local lawyer to look over the papers and maybe add a finding that she had never told him it was his son and there was some doubt about it, no child support was ever paid although it had been offered, etc. Basically you would ant a lawyer to add self serving language in there and not something she could use against him in the future.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a 5 Star Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow-up questions in this thread. I want to be sure all of your questions are answered.