Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My 12 year old granddaughter lives with her father. My

Customer Question
Hello, my 12 year...

Hello, my 12 year old granddaughter lives with her father. My daughter lost custody of her due to a drug problem. The child's father wants to keep her from seeing our family. I live in Maryland, do I have any rights? Thank You.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No I haven't since I have been told by others that I have no rights.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No thank you

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Family Law
9/26/2017
Family Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

I'm very sorry to hear about your situation. Many times grandparents ask about what their rights are in regard to the children. Grandparents have some limited rights. What I mean by that is that if they believe that the child is not being taken care of, then they can petition the court to obtain guardianship. guardianship is a court order where you have legal rights over the child. However, that would mean that you would have to try to prove to the court that the father is unfit in the mother is unfit to take care of the child. Otherwise, you don't have just a basic legal right to see the child. The downside is that unless you get guardianship, then the father can keep you from seeing the child at all. You aren’t necessarily entitled to the visitation unless you can get a court order for it. I apologize and I wish I had better news for you.

Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.