Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I pay support for my daughter directly to her mother weekly…

Customer Question
Hello i pay support...

Hello i pay support for my daughter directly to her mother weekly i also pay 1/2 of her high school tuition. her mother wants to request more money. i currently pay her 200 weekly cash and 3800. year for school. the mother does not work on the books. so she reports zero income. they live with her fiance and he claims both the mother and my daughter on his taxes. my first question is how much as i required to pay weekly. and am i required to cover my daughter s health insurance once she is 19 and off CHIP.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because education law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

PA

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Is there something i am forgetting that would be helpful

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/26/2017
Family Lawyer: FamilyAnswer, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. Has anything been court ordered or is this all informal?

all informal i received a court date for oct 6 - this willbe the first time we go to court in 15 years
are you still there

Yes

Please allow me a moment to respond.

How old is the child now?

she will be 18 in October 2017

Unless there is a written agreement stating otherwise, or the child is physically or mentally disabled, a parent’s requirement to pay child support terminates when their son or daughter turns 18, or graduates high school, whichever happens later. As such, you would not have to pay for her health insurance, unless court ordered or you voluntarily decided to do so. Now, in regard to what you may have to pay, I have provided a link below that you can use to get an idea, about it. Even though the mother may report zero income, if you have evidence that she does have income, you can address that with the Judge and use that, as needed, to reduce the cost of what the Judge may impose. Based upon her age, it would appear that once she graduates, your obligation to pay would end, so support would only need to be paid for a few months.

http://paface.org/content/how-calculate-child-support

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

Ely, Counselor at Law