Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I need a court order to have a correction made on my birth…

Customer Question
I need a court...

I need a court order to have a correction made on my birth certificate. I was born in SC in 1946 and my first name George was abbreviated on the certificate and Georgia will not accept it. Without a court order i will never be able to get a photo ID or drivers license, or prove my identity, which prevents me from participating and receiving my rights as a United States Citizen.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the court order was issued in?

No court order has never been issued they are telling me that i need a court order.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No I haven. Im on Social secirity and have limited income.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No thats it.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Family Law
9/26/2017
Family Lawyer: KLAW, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
KLAW
KLAW, Lawyer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site, the answers are for general information. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

To legally change your name you file a petition in the Superior Court in the county in which you now reside in Georgia The forms are located on line at https://www.georgialegalaid.org/resource/name-change-self-help-packet-for-adults?ref=RafLy

The petition requires you to reveal your current name on your documents, your desired name, your address, your date of birth and your reason for wanting your name changed. Sign and date the petition.

There are several steps involved. First file your petition with the Georgia Superior Court with jurisdiction over your county of residence. Include a certified copy of your birth certificate along with a copy of any documents, such as a marriage certificate, that established your reason for wanting to change your name. The filing fee varies by county.

Next, you must publish a notice that you filed a petition to change your name in the official legal gazette administered by the county government. Your notice must run once a week for four weeks, and your first notice must be published within seven days of filing your application. The court clerk can provide you with specific instructions.

Then, you must attend a name change hearing at the Superior Court. The court will notify you of the hearing date. The date will be more than 30 days after you filed your petition. The judge may question you to ensure that your name change complies with state law. You cannot change your name for the purpose of evading creditors or escaping criminal liability. You cannot change your name to a racial slur or obscenity, and you cannot change it to a name that would confuse people. You cannot change your name to the name of a famous person if circumstances indicate your intention is to mislead people.

Finally, notify federal and state authorities of your name change. These authorities include the IRS, the Social Security Administration and the Georgia Department of Driver Services. You may notify the Social Security Administration by filing Form SS-5. Replace any identity documents that display your old name, such as your passport and drivers license.

I hope this clarifies and helps.

It was a pleasure assisting you today, and I would appreciate if you would rate my service with stars, so I will receive credit and payment for my work. I will not receive payment for assisting you today, unless you rate the question. After you rate the question you can ask follow up questions, and you will not be charged any additional money for the follow-up questions

Ely, Counselor at Law