Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I have a conservetorship issued from a court in Tennessee…

Customer Question
Hello, I have a...

Hello, I have a conservetorship issued from a court in Tennessee for my son who has mental disabilities, is it valid here in Oregon as i moved here 9 months ago or I have to get one here? thanks

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Now I am in Oregon, but I have a conservetorship from Tennessee.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That is it please. thanks

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/25/2017
Family Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. The answer to your question is yes. Under the Full Faith and Credit Clause of the United States Constitution, every state is required to give full faith and credit to orders given by a court in a different state. Therefore, if you have conservatorship issued by Tennessee, then the state of Oregon has to recognize it. I know that it is a very short answer to your question, but it is one that comes up regularly so you can rest assured that your guardianship is intact. Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.