Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

Thanks for your help.. I divorced in 2009. Never paid or

Hello there and thanks for your help.. I divorced in 2009. Never paid or received alimony or child support. But now that my mom passes away I wonder if I could be in danger of my former husband taking any of my inheritance, I imagine not, but I thought I ask.. Thanks.. June
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Hi. Yes, California..
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just that I will be inheriting home and some money in a trust fund.. TX

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

In both NV and CA, inheritance is separate property, so he could not make any claims to inheritance money as community property. Furthermore, in order to have done so, he would had to have filed such a claim before the divorce was closed, 6 years later is too late for him to do so now. Your inheritance would be your separate property and he would have no legal claim to the assets.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.