Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

In Illinois I have 50/50 Custody with mother being

Customer Question
residential address until Jan.2nd 2015...
In Illinois I have 50/50 Custody with mother being residential address until Jan.2nd 2015. Mother was federally incarcerated which made me sole provider up until June 14th 2017.
In the interim I did not receive any help, we relocated in September of 2015 to San Francisco CA. where children attended school.
Mother was released in March of 2017 and has taken children as of June 14, 2017 to Florida and has residence in/Near Jacksonville and children are attending school.
What do I need to file to conform to statutory child support guidelines to stop the accumulation of child support in Illinois and commence with Florida.
I have been paying an estimate above the Florida guideline which is lower than the Illinois guideline.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Family Law
9/25/2017
Family Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

Thank you very much for your patience. What you will need to do is file a request for a modification of child support with the court. The problem is that FL will not have jurisdiction over the children until at least 6 months have passed. Under the UCCJEA, a court won’t have jurisdiction until they have been living in the state at least six months. This means you will have to file for modification in IL, but the judgment will be recognized even though the children are living in FL. Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

Legal Eagle, Lawyer