Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I'm afraid that my great granddaughter might be in harms way…

Customer Question
I'm afraid that my...

I'm afraid that my great granddaughter might be in harms way living with her mother. She told my son last night that mom's new boyfriend put a gun to mom's head and threatened to kill her. Sienna is afraid he might kill her too and we just don't know what to do, She has lived with my son and daughter in law most of her life....she is 9 yrs old now. We don't want her going into foster care but want son and wife to have legal guardian ship. We live in Galveston county, Texas.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Texas in Galveston county

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Not yet, this all just came to light last night when they were taking her back to her mom, she started crying and begging not to go.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just that we want my son and wife to have guardianship so this baby has stability in her life....mom is dependent on present boyfriend to pay bills. She is pregnant with baby #5 by baby daddy #4. My grandson is the only one paying child support so she has to hand on to Sienna for the money...all other children are in their father's custody...not sure how relevant that information is.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Family Law
9/25/2017
Family Lawyer: Gerald-Esquire, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Gerald-Esquire

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow-up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

I am so sorry, you must be worried sick over this situation.

If the father hand his wife are willing and able to take the grand-daughter then Children Protective Services are obligated to place the child with blood relatives when they find that the child is living in a dangerous environment.

It is imperative that Children and Youth Protective Services be notified of this situation. They can be reached here:

https://www.dfps.state.tx.us/Child_Protection/

Additionally, the father should file a Petition for emergency custody so that they can keep the child while the matter is investigated. They can find a local attorney to help them gain immediate custody here:

http://lawyers.findlaw.com/lawyer/firm/custody-visitation/galveston-county/texas

If they can not afford an attorney they can obtain legal assistance through legal aid:

https://texaslawhelp.org/directory/legal-resource/lone-star-legal-aid-galveston-office

Please encourage the father to take immediate action. I pray for a favorable outcome for your family.

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow-up questions, feel free to ask.

If you ask a follow-up question and I do not respond immediately, it is because I am temporarily unavailable. I promise to respond as soon as I return. Please note that I am often unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response, PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or, if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you, and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald

Gerald-Esquire
Gerald-Esquire
Gerald-Esquire, Lawyer