Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I have temp custody of my 3 grand children as of 7/20/17.

Customer Question
I have temp custody...

I have temp custody of my 3 grand children as of 7/20/17. Parents are incarcerated. CPS is not involved, but has hinted that we should go for permanency. Being retirement age, I am concerned about health insurance. Is adoption or permanent custody more advantageous?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Dallas TX

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Retained a lawyer to sue for temp custody. cost $6000, eventhough no contest from parents or CPS. can't afford to consult with them for every question.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Family Law
9/25/2017
Family Lawyer: JD 1992, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Please allow me several minutes to read your facts and type my response both initially and when you add a follow up question or add facts. Please don't ask "are you there", etc., since when you post it can erase what I am working on. If we are having a conversation unless I tell you I am going offline, I will be here but I may be doing research.

If you receive a notice or email regarding a phone call for an extra price that comes directly from the website and not from me and I have no control over the sending of the notice or email. I don't take part in the telephone program and only work through this format and under your facts this format should be sufficient.

Are you wondering whether your insurance will have different coverage if they are adopted versus being permanent guardians?

No I am aware that in TX if grandparents are raising children under a formal custody or no legal arrangement children are eligible for Medicaid. Is this option eliminated if formal adoption is done?
Is permanent custody as secure as adoption.

Not exactly, if they are adopted then you have to meet the regular requirements for Medicaid but you're not automatically excluded.