Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I hired an attorney in Nevada last February to handle my…

I hired an attorney...

I hired an attorney in Nevada last February to handle my divorce. It has been a constant struggle for communication and progression in my case. I am without a home of my own right now living with my children and my husband is in the home we bought and shared together. My life is upside down and feel no concern from my attorney, only repeated excuses why things aren't happening.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Nye county, Pahrump, Nevada

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

I have retained a lawyer who I feel is not handling my case to benefit me

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just that I am lost and don't know what to do

9/25/2017
FamilyAttorney

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer. I’m a licensed attorney with 37 years’ extensive experience in family law, trials, appeals, contracts, landlord-tenant, and other types of law.

This is general information and not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed, and no attorney-client relationship is formed. This is for educational purposes only.

Also, I’d like to review your question for a minute and type your answer. If I am not here for a few minutes, that means I am typing your answer. THIS IS NOT YOUR ANSWER YET so please allow me time to type it up for you. It may take a few minutes, so please understand that. Thanks!

If a request for a phone call comes in, it is from the site, not from me. I will be happy to have a phone call with you but only if you want it. If you would like to request a phone call, that’s fine too. There is no pressure and we can stay here if you’d like.

We get these questions a lot. I'm so sorry to hear about this. I hate hearing about lawyers who don't do what they're supposed to be doing.

Where are you living? You're with the children and the husband is in the home, correct? I just want to clarify.

I'm really sorry about this situation, so you need assistance. If your lawyer is not progressing or doing anything in your case, you can file a grievance against your lawyer. You don't need excuses, you need action.

You should interview other attorneys, either private or legal aid attorneys, and then fire this one. He or she is not doing what he or she is ethically supposed to be doing. When is the last time the attorney did anything for you?

Last month sent divorce complaint to sign and notorize, said it would be served 8 weeks later still being promised it will be

Wow, okay thank you.

That's ridiculous. He's not even serving it. He has to get a process server or sheriff. What the heck? That's really bad.

I would call him/her up and let the lawyer know you will go to the bar and file a grievance if the lawyer doesn't get that served asap. Usually that gets the lawyer moving.

But I would still find another lawyer. This one is for the birds. The lawyer is already showing you that he/she is not going to be good for you. Without client trust, there is no reason to use a particular lawyer.

He has told me that a woman in Pahrump who evidently helps him, named Holly, who is The person I paid first 1000.00 to is doing Service is that possible??

Hi -- I got a phone call but I didn't forget you and will be back with you as soon as I'm off, okay? Promise I haven't gone anywhere. Thanks for understanding!

Thank you for your patience.

That is possible, but it's a BS reason for not having it served. There are hundreds of other people who can do service of process, so he's full of it.

So the problem here is just that he's stalling. I would hire someone else after he gets this served. This is just an awful way to do business. Right now the grievance committee may not take any action against him but if this takes another month, they might. You can threaten him with a grievance though, and then I bet he'll make sure he gets it served right away. Tell him you don't want him doing any other work, not to answer emails, phone calls, etc. because he will bill you for that, and you're going to want the rest of your retainer back. Of course, this will tip him off that you want a new lawyer, but he will know if you threaten with a grievance anyway.

Here's the link for a grievance in your state: https://www.nvbar.org/member-services-3895/ethics-discipline/complaint/

I just need to clarify -- you paid money to Holly or to him?

Doesn't The complaint have to be filed with court before serving, and how can I find out if it has been filed? I am sure I have to find another lawyer honestly I don't have faith he will represent my interests. But have to start over and spend more money

Yes, it's filed with the court for an index number, and it's stamped by the clerk too.

You can call the clerk's office but they may not give you the information.

I know -- that is the issue, another retainer, but you can get back $ from what this lawyer hasn't spent so far.

The retainer is always the issue, but you can also try legal aid and I can find legal aid attys for you in your area if you'd like.

We aren't allowed to refer to any particular lawyer. However, what I do here, which helps my customers tremendously, is I give you a list of lawyers in your area and I'll show you how easy it is to pick one.

I have a short, easy to understand free guide and it will show you what to look for in an attorney. You can always run your picks by me and I can let you know if I think you're on the right track. I will also look for LegalAid and pro bono attorneys in your area if you tell me to do that. I just need to know where to look. The bigger the city the better. My customers tell me they have found great lawyers from my information. This part is free of charge -- I do this as a courtesy to my customers here. Just let me know if you want this information.

I don't have faith he will represent your interests either, I'm sorry to say. You can review his client reviews on avvo dot com and see what his clients think of him. Just enter his name, town and state. If nothing comes up, then just enter Nevada and his name.

I appreciate your input and would appreciate help in who to contact, but I must be careful of spending especially looking towards another retainer, a small savings and 800.00 ss income.

I understand. I can look for pro bono lawyers in your area or legal aid if you'd like. They do divorces, I'm sure. I'm happy to do that for you if you'd like.

Here are some in your area. Private attorneys also.

https://www.justia.com/lawyers/family-law/nevada/legal-aid-and-pro-bono-services

https://www.nvbar.org/lawyerreferral/pro-bono-for-the-public/

https://www.lacsn.org/pro-bono-project-for-clients

Family lawyers, Pahrump: only 2 attys listed, so I'd need a bigger city to look in:

https://www.avvo.com/search/lawyer_search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=family+lawyer&loc=pahrump%2C+nevada

Here is my guide:

How to choose an attorney. THIS IS HOW I WOULD PICK AN ATTORNEY IF I NEEDED ONE FOR MYSELF IN ANOTHER FIELD OF LAW.

Here's what to look for and what to avoid.

Avoid: Any red mark next to an attorney's name, such as misconduct. That usually means the lawyer was either disbarred, censured, cited for misconduct, or suspended from the practice of law.

Ignore: Ratings, such as 6.5 or 10, which is the highest. A 6.5 attorney may be even better than a 10. It's difficult to say. The site has its own formula for rating attorneys and many attorneys get a 10 because they belong to bar associations and sometimes give lectures. That does not necessarily mean they're the best when it comes to going to court.

Remember: People who charge the most aren’t necessarily the best! I know people who charged twice as much as I did and I have won cases against them easily in court. Don’t be fooled by price.

What to look for: See what the clients’ reviews state, especially in the field that you're interested in (i.e. family law, wills, custody, guardianship, etc.). That is probably going to be the most important thing. Many people have not been reviewed, but if there are a bunch of them who are, go with the ones who have multiple reviews and whose reviews are outstanding. You don't want someone who is a family lawyer but who has been rated as an excellent criminal lawyer. That won't help you. You want them rated as an excellent family lawyer if that's what you're looking for.

I would also suggest you find someone who has been practicing at least 10 years, the more the better(15-20 is even better). The site will tell you how long they're practicing law. You don't want someone just a few years out of law school to take on your tough case.

If there are hundreds of lawyers on the link I’m sending to you, you don’t have to review all of them. Just look at the first few “pages” and that will be enough. Don’t make yourself crazy looking at all of the lawyers there.

Extra suggestion:

I also suggest that you find someone who does primarily family law – if that’s what you’re looking for – or any other type of law you are looking for. For example, if you’re looking for a family lawyer (or any other type of lawyer), the site I am sending you to shows what percentage of the lawyer’s business is family law (or the other type of law you are looking for). If you want a family lawyer, you should find someone who does mostly family law cases – at least 50% -- or exclusively family law cases (100%). I am an appellate attorney who does family law cases, and I do appeals exclusively now. I list myself as doing appeals for 85% of my practice, and I show that the appeals are for family law, custody and child abuse. Someone looking for a family law appellate attorney would know that that’s what I do. So consider the percentage of work they do in the area of law that you want. If it’s 20% or something similar, and they do several types of law, you should find another lawyer. Find someone who spends most of his or her time doing the type of law you want to hire them for.

Take Action: Take a few names and make some phone calls. Ask for a free consultation -- see if you can get one. If you don't feel confident in the lawyer, find another one. That's why it's good to make a list of the ones you want, maybe 5-6 lawyers and you'll find one. It’s okay to walk out of a lawyer’s office and don’t sign anything if you’re not comfortable with the lawyer. You usually want an aggressive lawyer to help you and someone who will return phone calls.

If you can take someone with you to interview the lawyer, that would be a good idea. It’s always good to have another opinion.

You can always fire a lawyer if you're not happy but once the case is underway, you may need court permission to do so, so make sure you like the lawyer!

You can always run your picks by me and I can let you know if I think you’re on the right track.

Does this answer your question? I'm happy to give you some input on your selection of attorneys, but I still think you want to start with your own attorney and get him to hurry it up by stating you will be filing a grievance if he doesn't file and serve your divorce papers. That may get him moving.

I would like any help available at this point. Pahrump Nevada is 60 miles West of las Vegas attorney from Vegas must also practice in Nye county

Okay, thank you. You can ask them on the phone if they practice in Nye. Some will, some won't, so you'd want to ask. I gave you listings for pro bono legal aid for the state of Nevada, so I have to look at private lawyers:

Family lawyers, Las Vegas: 450 lawyers

https://www.avvo.com/search/lawyer_search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=Family&loc=las+vegas%2C+nevada

You will be interviewing them, not the other way around. Make sure you feel they're aggressive enough.

Does this answer your question?

Good luck to you! You can come back here free of charge after I'm rated for a follow-up question.

Please let me know if there’s anything else I can help you with. That includes looking for lawyers. I’m happy to do so! I’m here most of the time (usually at night!) so you can always come back and talk to me (no extra charge) after I’m rated. If I’m not here, I will get an email if you leave me a question.

Please accept my answer, and please rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars (5, 4 or 3 stars, 5 stars would be much appreciated as I ALWAYS strive to give you 5 star service!). This can be found AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you and with your question. I work hard to give you a thorough and honest answer. Please let me know if there is more that I can do to answer your question and if you need more information such as where to find lawyers. If not, I thank you for your rating. I can’t get credit for answering your question without your fair and honest rating. I have given you the benefit of my legal knowledge and 37 years of experience as well as my time. My statistics show that almost 100% of my customers here have been extremely satisfied with my answers as I am always truthful and thorough.

Feel free to come back here for a follow-up question based on this one.
You're welcome to ask follow-up questions at any time, any day after I'm rated, free of charge.

We are not employees of Just Answer but are independent contractors, so your rating is very important to us so that we can be reimbursed for our work. Thank you! I'd rather be given the chance to add more information than be rated negatively, so I thank you for that.

If you want to ask for me specifically another time -- for a new question -- ask for "NYFamilyAttorney ONLY" and I will get the question. Otherwise you can come right back into this room for follow-ups, free of charge.

Best of luck to you and thank you for letting me help you today! Thanks in advance for rating me!

I strive for 5 star service every time, so if there's anything else I can do to earn that, I'm happy to do so.

FamilyAttorney

Thank you so much for rating me. Feel free to come back for any follow-ups, free of charge. I wish you the best of luck.