Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

We have an agreement for a stepped-up visitation agreement.

I have 95% custody and...
We have an agreement for a stepped-up visitation agreement. I have 95% custody and he has 5%. He's had very limited "alone" visitation and it's always been with myself or my family which is ~10% a year. He's spent 1 overnight alone and my son is 2.5. He's demanding that he is going to pick up Mason Friday morning and drop him off Sunday night. His new girlfriend will also be with him. This is too long in my opinion. Our agreement states "father shall provide mother 30 days'advance notice for each visit with visits and overnights determined in good faith based on Mason's comfort level." What rights do I have in this situation? This is too much on Mason and I don't agree with this at all.
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/25/2017
ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. So to be clear, he agreed to the 30 day notice requirement, in writing, and a judge signed off on this agreement? What does he say when presented with that 30 day requirement?

a judge signed off on this. It's a 30 day notice for visits and yes he agreed to this. He said he wanted to come out to visit Mason for a weekend and his new girlfriend would be coming. I asked him to put together a schedule and he said he'll be there Friday morning at 8am and will return him Sunday after dinner.
I told him that would be too much for Mason and suggested: Friday, have him in the morning, bring him back for a nap, take him after a nap and he'll sleep at home that night. If all goes well, he could take Mason Sat/Sun - with that being an overnight.

You have every right to say "no" specifically due to the fact that this is not within the 30 day notice requirement. You can require strict adherence to the agreement (and you should) because if you don't, every provision could potentially be at risk (because if you give in on this provision but not another, he could even claim "selective enforcement" or something like that. So you can say "no", as you have that right under this agreement. If he has a problem with that, he can take it to the court and tell the judge why he thinks that "30 days" actually means "4 days" or something like that. The judge won't buy it.

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars, but note that the rating is what closes out this question, so it is necessary that you do so.

Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Sorry for the confusion. He did provide ~30 days for his visit but we have been going back and forth on the schedule and he refuses to cooperate. Therefore, he suggested times to visit, I said that works if there is a schedule in place. There isn't a mutal schedule in place. I'm wondering what my rights are in this case.

Does it say that you will come up with a mutual schedule prior to any visitation, etc...?

No. It does say. "at the following minimum times and at such other times as the parties may agree." It provides a vauge stepped up visitation. two hours one day, 2.5 hour increments on the 2nd day, etc... these have been met and he's had over overnight early 2017.

I see. That makes it more complicated. That is, if it's clear that he can have visitation with at least 30 days written notice, but then talks about "other times as the parties may agree", that "may" is permissive, not mandatory. The 30 day requirement, on the other hand, appears to be mandatory. So you would have to have a compelling reason to deny visitation in this situation where he did give you 30 days notice and there's no actual requirement that you come to an agreement.

I don't want to deny visitation. I think that it's not in Mason's best interest that he is gone for a whole weekend alone with his father he hasn't seen that much. Can I put restrictions on this visit?
Also, thank you SO much for your help!Not sure how to handle this.

It could be difficult then to win such a case if he were to complain to the judge about this. He could say that he gave 30 days notice, and your response would be that you didn't get a plan in place. But then he would ask where is that required in the agreement. The judge would then look to you to establish why you said "no" after he gave you 30 days notice. Now if you have a good reason that was communicated at the time (such as going on a vacation, etc...) so that he would have 30 days notice that the time wouldn't work, then that would be something that could work for you.

My issue isn't about the visit - it's about the schedule. Don't we have to mutally agree upon this?

Reasonable restrictions depend upon what you can establish as necessary in light of the circumstances. That means that the burden is on him to establish that (for example) only one night is unreasonable, two nights is reasonable, etc... Always go back to the written agreement first, but where there's a question, it's interpreted in light of your discretion.

As far as the schedule, unless there's a different provision in the agreement that says that you will agree, the language said "may". That means that you're not required to.

if I'm reading this correctly, I do not have any rights in saying his proposed schedule is too much and I don't want it to happen?

You do. Again, as the custodial parent, your decisions are presumed reasonable, and he'd have the burden of proof to establish that they're unreasonable. THat's why it's actually to his benefit to come to an arrangement with you so that everything is known and agreed upon. Otherwise, he has the burden to prove that you're acting unreasonable. It's not your burden to prove that you're reasonable.

Oh, that is so nice to hear and makes me feel so much better!!!
But he could take me back to court to change if I disagree with his schedule, correct?

Yes. It'd be up to him to prove that you're acting unreasonably, but then you can show that you were trying to come up with a schedule and he wasn't cooperating with you. So you'd probably be in a better place than him in that situation.

Thank you SOOOOOOOO much!!! I have been worried sick.

My pleasure.

If there's nothing else, please rate this answer.

If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service positively. It's only after you rate that I am credited.

ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer