Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 plus years of experience.
17897874

I've been living separately from my "husband" for over 8

I've been living separately from my "husband" for over 8 years. Haven't filed the separation papers. If I file them now, and state the separation was August 1, 2001, will the effective separation date be the day I submitted this to the court?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: New York
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

The term "separation date" usually, as in your case, refers to the date when the spouses stopped living at the same residence. However, in instances where the spouses continue to live at the same residence, the separation date may refer to the date that the spouses decided to end their marriage, which may be today's date if the decision was made today.

However, if you stopped living together as spouses 8/1/2001, that is the effective separation date.

Please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
That's what I was hoping, thanks so much!!

You are very welcome.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

A bonus is not expected, but is always appreciated.

Thank you!