Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I have a friend that is pregnant and her due date is

Hello, I have a...

Hello, I have a friend that is pregnant and her due date is November 15, 2017. In she want me and my girlfriend which is the baby farther to get legally custody of the child. In they both have agreed to sign over their rights. I just want to know what know what steps should I take to get custody of the unborn child.

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Baby father sister sorry for the mis spelling

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Answered in 1 minute by:
9/25/2017
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

The procedure for this differs by state. Where does the friend live?

Also, will the father consent to giving his sister custody?

Florida, Broward county yes but the thing is his sister has three kids and I don't have any as of right now in I was looking to take full custody of the child of the child I just don't know what steps to take or if it's even possible for me to get custody of the child.
Can you guide me in the right direction?

To get custody, what you'd do is adopt the child. However, under Florida law, two unmarried adults cannot adopt a child together. You can adopt the baby or your girlfriend can, but you can't both do it unless you get married first. Fl. Stat., Section 63.042. Note that adoption completely terminates the relationship between parent and children, so if you married and later divorced, you'd both remain legally responsible.

Any local attorney can help set up a private adoption. A lawyer isn't required, but having one can help ensure that everything goes smoothly.

The other option is to ask the parents to set up guardianship, which does not terminate the parents' rights but gives you decision-making authority over the child.

Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Okay thank you so much.

You're welcome!