Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I'm located in South Carolina. I've hired an attorney

Customer Question
seeking a paternity test to...
I'm located in South Carolina. I've hired an attorney seeking a paternity test to establish paternity as well as requesting to have my son's birth certificate amended to list me as the father, have his last name changed to mine, visitation, etc...He's 5 months old. I've been involved, present, hands on, as well as financially supportive throughout the pregnancy up until birth. I've had his mother served court papers, awaiting the temporary hearing in about a week. What are the chances i receive all I'm asking for?
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Family Law
9/25/2017
Family Lawyer: Bill Attorney, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Bill Attorney

Dear Customer ,

Thank You for posting your family law question today. Your paternity petition when denied by the mother requires the genetic test that you have taken.

The law in South Carolina is there must be a finding of 95% or higher for there to be a irrefutable presumption or paternity.

If the test show significant similarity the judge can order an amendment to the birth certificate to add you onto the certificate if requested by yourself.

Once paternity has been established, your petition for visitation can be heard.

We are here to help.

Please follow up with me as required.

In return remember to rate positively today.

You do this by rating 5*****, 4**** or better.

As I''m not an employee of justanswer I rely on your positive feedback today to get a credit for my assist.

So I hope you rate FIVE STARS today.

Thank You

Attorney Bill

I'm asking in regards ***** ***** last name change, birth certificate amendment after establishing paternity, what are my chances?

Because you aren't married this is unlikely to be granted but you can request this nonetheless from the court.

The mother retains the family name in cases of unmarried children.

Please follow up with me as required.

So I hope you rate FIVE STARS today.

Thank You

Attorney Bill