Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

If someone bluffs taking me to court, and instead i dare…

Customer Question
If someone bluffs taking me...
If someone bluffs taking me to court, and instead i dare them to sue me, can they even if they do not have anything substantial? And if they sue me on false assumptions, can that case go to court and if it does, and i can prove them wrong, can i countersue and demand compensation from false accusations? How would i?
Submitted: 12 months ago.Category: Family Law
9/25/2017
Family Lawyer: FamilyAnswer, Lawyer replied 12 months ago
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. There needs to be a valid cause of action. By that, I mean they have to have a legal basis to file suit and evidence to support it. If they do not, the case can be dismissed or disposed of with summary judgment and may not make it to trial. Moreover, if there was no merit to the lawsuit and the intent was to harass and abuse the system and use it against the defendant, they could be sued and liable for attorney fees and costs in cured for having to defend a frivolous lawsuit.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be 5 STARS! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

the case can be dismissed or disposed of with summary judgment
what does this summary judgement mean in my case where someone is threatening me and my family because they did not get their way and making up things by assumptions.
Family Lawyer: FamilyAnswer, Lawyer replied 11 months ago

Thank you for the reply. Summary judgment can be entered when there is no genuine issue of material fact. If this person is suing and making things up and there is no evidence to show or support their cause of action, it could be dismissed by the judge or a judge could find in your favor.

If a judge could find in my favor, what will a summary judgment offer to me?

It would result in a judgment in your favor and the case would be over. That would be the end of it.

Judgement meaning....

Meaning that the plaintiff, party who sued you, would lose. You are welcome. Please let me know if there is anything else, as I would be happy to respond. If not, please remember to rate my help at this time at the top of this page, prior to leaving, so I can receive the proper credit, for our time together. A 5 STAR rating is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

THey would lose, but what about the aggravation i had to experience because of their shenanigans? Would i get some kind of award compensation for identifying this person so they refrain from doing things to someone else? What benefit would become of this? WOuld they lose and have to pay my costs that i had to endure to defend myself? Or do i have to countersue?

Good morning and great to hear back from you. I am happy to answer any follow up questions but would kindly just ask that you rate my help at the top at this time, so the site will provide me with the proper credit for all our time. Thank you for understand.

Once I rate, the question closes. I'm sorry it's taking me various attempts at articulating to describe the question.

No, it will not. It will remain open and I can respond. I am here to help. Do not worry

Ok... because my question has not been answered regarding the meaning of their losing.

If you can show that the lawsuit was frivolous, you could sue to recover costs incurred and damages suffered. If you retain counsel and prevail, you can ask that they pay your attorney fees.

Sorry for the delay and I shared the answer above. Please let me know if there is anything else.

I would sue in civil court as opposed to L/T court which this current particular case is being heard.

If you wanted to recover your attorney fees, you would do it where this is being heard now. If you also have counter claims, you could raise them. Typically, if the Judge feels that there is no merit to the lawsuit and it was frivolous and done with the intent to harass a party and abuse the system, they will award the other party attorney fees.