Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Had a 5 year relationship end and we have a 3 year old

Customer Question
daughter. We went to custody...
Had a 5 year relationship end and we have a 3 year old daughter. We went to custody court because we could not agree on anything. I had plenty evidence to prove her a unfit parent and when Her Lawyer became aware of the evidence. He requested a paternity test by saying she new without a doubt I was not the father. And turns out Inwas not . The judge basically told me that since I'm not the biological father the burden of prof wasn't enough against her .. He also said if I kept going he would make me pay a substantial amount of Child support and I would only get the equivalent of grandparents rights 9 hours a month. I love my daughter and can't loose her and the mother is about to move 700 miles away .My ex come to find out is not who she led me to believe she was for 5 years. My Lawyer acts like there is nothing I can do .. My Love for my daughter could never be determined by a paternity test .. can I sue my ex for scamming me or paternity fraud
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Family Law
9/25/2017
Family Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 10 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am so sorry to read about your difficulties.

First and foremost, if you are not the father, the Court CANNOT order you to pay child support. The Judge cannot do this even if he wants to. You are not obligated to pay child support on a child who is not legally yours.

Yes, you can sue your ex for scamming you. However, why would you torture yourself more. You need to let it go and move on.

Best wishes,