Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I live in Louisiana. In 2016 my adult son, his girlfriend,

Customer Question
I live in Louisiana...

I live in Louisiana. In 2016 my adult son, his girlfriend, baby, and seven year old were living in my home after being displace by the flood. I had not slept in days and days because of their constant fighting. I was upset and took (3) ,25 mg of xanax and (3) .50mg of trazadone over a span of a few hours. I am prescribed these medications for anxiety to be taken together (1) .25 xanax and (1) 50 mg of trazadone up to 3 times a day as needed for anxiety. I was particularly upset this day, and mad a comment on my facebook page about how nerve-wracking it was living under all this stress, and I was tired of living this life. A facebook friend (an old co-worker that I had not spoken with in 20 years, called the local police where I live and sent them to my house to check on my. I certainly had NO intentions of suicide. I have taken the medications for years whenever I felt I needed them, and I do not even take them very often. I was exhausted and wanted to sleep. I told the officers that, and one officer told me if I did not get on the gurney for the EMS, he was handcuffing and arresting me. One of the officers does not like my son because of prior problems in the town I live in. I was sent to the emergence room, told everyone concerned I was not suicidal just tired. They took blood and urine so they had to have known I was not overdosing dangerously. The attending physician told me he was sending me for 3 days to a mental facility. I did not want this at all, but again felt like I had no choice in the matter. I was sent to a mental hospital about 45 miles away, and kept against my will. I told everyone there, I was not trying to kill myself. They kept me for a whole week. Now, I had NO idea this was on my police record, until the same officer came to my home and made me turn over my seven-year-old grandson who has been living with me for the last year and a half because his mother is a heroin addict. (My son had moved out of my home about a month ago, and I did not have any kind of legal document. I am furious about this. The child's mother filed a restraining order on me saying I was not mentally stable so I cannot be around my grandson or any activity he participates in. To top it off, the officer that came to make me turn the child over was rude, cocky, telling me I was not stable in a mocking way. I worked 36 years and am retired now. I raised my son as a single parent with no help. I built and paid for my own home. Prior to this incident, I only have had 3 speeding tickets 20 years ago when I was commuting 200 miles a day to work and back. I am not nor have I ever used drugs or alcohol. Everyone who knows me and knows about this tell me I am the most stable person they know. What can I do to remove this from my record and possible sue everyone involved? Staying in that hospital was a nightmare and I will be paying on the resulting doctor bills for years!

Lawyer's Assistant: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.

Did you get my question or will I have to retype it all?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Louisiana East Baton Rouge Parish is where I live

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

The police have it on my record. I have filed nothing. I am in the process of getting a letter from my doctor stating I am sane.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That is no that's it

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Family Law
The mother of the child broke the restraining order by calling me and bringing my grandson over to see me a few days after this happened. Also, she robbed my home while I was in the hospital last November 2016 when all this happened because she had been told I was in the hospital. She took over $6,000 of jewelry and other items out of my home. I have NOTHING on my police report other than the 3 speeding tickets 20 years ago. I don't even drink alcohol. Never did any kind of drugs!
Now the mother is hanging out in my neighborhood stalking me! I have know her for about 10 years and she has always been a thief and a pathological liar. She told me when she went to the police office, the officers were joking about me being the nut-case of the neighborhood. I am outdone by all this! My son over the years, had problems with this particular police officer. He has always harassed him since he was a teenager.
The mother has always been an addict since I have known her. She recently went through rehab, but she never really worked anywhere. She is now living with a pothead with my grandson.
9/25/2017
Family Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 8 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

What is your question for us about all that you have posted?

Ely, Counselor at Law