Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My sister has Power Of Attorney over my father and we were…

My sister has Power...

My sister has Power Of Attorney over my father and we were wanting to know if I could be her Co-Power Of Attorney if something happens to her. I am the daughter the youngest daughter-my niece was given it if my sister passed but I want to be on there now-for my father.

Lawyer's Assistant: Can you tell me what state this is in? And just to clarify, what paperwork has been filed?

Wichita Kansas the paperwork was done in 2006

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

I have my sisters copy

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just that I am his first born child-and have not live in the same town and that's why I was put on the paperwork for my parents and my mother is passed and my Father is 89 and in bad health and my sister has M.S. I want to be over his decisions.

9/25/2017
Jessica B

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed estate attorney. I hope I may be of assistance with your question. You may act as Co-Power of Attorney with your sister. In order to accomplish this, your father must execute a new Power of Attorney, appointing you a Co-Power of Attorney with your sister. Is your father still competent to execute legal documents?

Does my father have to go to the Attorneys office -he is house bound so can he sign the papers at and how much would this cost and I need what kind of attorney do I need-family or estate?

Most estate planning attorneys will make house calls if the client is house bound. You would want an Estate Planning attorney and a new Power of Attorney may cost between $100 to $500. There is usually an extra charge for a home visit.

Jessica B
Thank you very much for your help
Joycelaw
Joycelaw, Attorney
Phone call session started

No problem. Please let me know if there anything else I can help you with.