Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My wife left unannounced. (She actually told a neighbor

Customer Question
Hi. My wife left...
Hi. My wife left unannounced. (She actually told a neighbor before telling me). We have a 9 year old son. I returned from a business trip to find all of her belongings gone, as well as 95% of my son's clothes and a mix of his favorite toys and electronic gadgets. She moved not far away, as I found out happening to drive by her new place and seeing a familiar car (my own) in the driveway. Her mother recently passed and since then she's been acting way out of character (to say the least). She did not call me for 3 days and neighbors contacted me lending support and confiding that they knew already and she had been in constant touch with them. Just over a month ago, she threw a bottle of lotion hitting me in the back of my head and I turned around and pushed her. She called the police and on the 911 call said that I tried to strangle her. When they arrived, she admitted the truth, they suggested counseling and left. A month before that, she left town on a trip to see a girlfriend in Miami (we're in Ohio) with only 1 day advance notice. When she returned I had her things packed, but we talked it out. (That was at the time, the wildest situation in my life). The whole build up to this situation has been a whirlwind for me and I think she has great attributes, but I think she is going through a mid-life crisis as a result of her mother's passing )whom I loved and treated as my own) and because of the timing and issues we were dealing with in our marriage, I couldn't be as supportive as she wanted, so she's spiraling out of control in full-gear and taking the marriage and family down with it. I want to allow her to visit our son, but not allow him to go to her home. She also took his passport when she left. What can I do to move towards full custody of my son, if not just emergency custody because of her abandonment?
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Family Law
9/25/2017
Family Lawyer: P. Simmons, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
P. Simmons, Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

thank you.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. Have either of you filed for divorce? If not, is that in the plan?

no. I am planning to separate. edging towards outright divorce depending...

The court is not going to engage on this if unless/until you start the process for divorce.
So the first step, if the goal is to get a custody order, is to hire an attorney and file for divorce.
As part of this, the court will issue a temporary custody order...the court will ensure you both have time with the child.

Bot***** *****ne: if the goal is to obtain a custody order? You will need to hire a lawyer and file for divorce

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Hi
Experts on this site (myself) are compensated ONLY if the customer (yourself) "rate" or "accept" the answer.

Do you have more questions regarding this?

Thanks for your understanding
Phil