Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Need to talk with a a family lawyer if possible about

Need to talk with...

Need to talk with a a family lawyer if possible about gardenship for my mother

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Chicago,Illinois

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Will be consulting with one this week

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, not right now

Answered in 1 minute by:
9/25/2017
Sue
Sue, Family Law Attorney

Hello, welcome to the site. I’m here to help you today. I am a licensed attorney with over 35 years’ experience in family law. I’d like to review your question and perhaps do some research for a few minutes, type your answer and then I’ll be right back.

Sue

This is general information and not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is formed. This is for educational purposes only.

How can I help you with questions about guardianship for your mother?

Sue

I am my mothers POA....my mother suffersfrom dementia, last stages...my brother has been living with my mother and I have suppted forms of abuse, but was not sure.....I have been watching when i come over to visit our mother, he has been taking monies out of her accounts and spending he claimes on foods and her medication, but when asked about receits, he will not show them to me. I have cut him off and all the acc**ts are closed to him, since thenit seems he is neglected her, when I come over she is soaking in her own wastes, i have hired homes aides over the 2 years that he has being living with her and if they dont do his bidding, he makes it difficult for them to work for my mother and they don't show up no more, then I hire again, and the same thing happens over and over again...i got my mother out of the house in laet july and took her to the ER, from there the hopital keep her for 3 days for observations...during the time of the hospital stay, the social worker talked with me about what was going on at the home, which is my mothers...the social workers put her in a facility for theapy, my brother was restricted from coming to the hospital. Now he has filed a pititition for gardeninship after the fact that i took her out of there....I am consulting with a lawyer this week,my problem is how vendictive he is and was i wrong in taking her out of there to a safe place....what will the lawyer do, what should I be looking for , since his will be the courts decision, I am afraid , because i don't want my mother back in that condition at all...she is safe, she is eating well, she llooks well, she is keep clean, she is getting professional care...
Also, the social worker at the hospital put down neglect, so I don't know how that might look to a lawyer, because it is not apercise cause. Even if i did not have a poa,I would still get my mother from under his rules. My brother is very controlling and what nothing more then power over my mother monies and her.....what do I do about the monies he as taken , i feel i am in a bend right now

You were absolutely not wrong to take your mother out of the home where your brother was mistreating her. It was the best thing you could have done.

I'll read your second posting and get right back to you.

Sue

The steps you have already taken will go a long way in protecting your mother and you from your brother's vindictiveness.

The lawyer you'll be meeting with will be able to help you defend against your brother's guardianship petition, and file your own guardianship petition. It is not uncommon to have two adult children at odds about legal decision making for their ailing parent. The courts are used to that and will look at your mother's history as the lead in who to appoint guardian.

It's a huge plus that the hospital social worker documented neglect under your brother's care. Your attorney will probably want to use that documentation and possibly further statements from health care providers who saw your mother when you got her out.

"Neglect" does cover a wide range of circumstances, but it is important - each case is decided on its underlying facts. If you have calendar or journal entries, photographs or notes of when you found your mother in her own feces, that will help support your verbal evidence. Do you have or can you get statements from any of the caregivers or the caregiver agency about your brother's intimidation of their workers?

My suggestion is to make copies of any written documents you think will support your cause and bring them with you to give to the attorney, if you hire that attorney.

As to the monies your brother has taken, you can ask the court to order an accounting and when he can't give it, you can ask the court for an order that he repay your mother.

Let me send this off so you can consider this information. Please let me know what questions may arise from this, okay?

Sue

I do have pictures of her in her own waste, couple of pictures where he has throw soil padding in the corner of her bedroom, and when i come over , this has happened all summer, the door is closed to her bed room windows are down, and it smells of waste as soon as you enter the place. He has takening her air condition unit and her fan and use it for him self...since I been off for the summer, I am a school teacher, I have been watching and showing up at different times during the day, evening and night,just popping in, spending time with her, but mostly to see if she is alright, I can not prove everything,but there are some things, which I hope will work ...I don't know if the agency fir help at home will help any since they were the ones that did a lot of his bidding along with the supervior name Liza from one of the agencies but I will try and provide as much as I can to the the lawyer, but I will wait until he tells me what I should do.the last home aide only did what he told her to do, she was doing his bidding, but during the school session,s I would come over on weekends to see my mother or holidays, but all of this seem to start when I cut him off from the account, there fore why should he do anything for mother. he has keep a mini camera throughout the house,so he can edited the film the way he wants to to make himself look good. I got the courts date for next month from himfiling after the fact that I took mother away from the house

Your brother's responses seem typical for someone who was acting out of self interest and had little care for your mother. I'm so sorry your other and you have had to go through this.

Your plan is a good one, to gather all the information you can and let your lawyer decide whether and who to contact at the help at home agency, etc. You've got a lot of good information from your unannounced drop-ins, too. Your word is also evidence. Your attorney will appreciate you making the documentation you have and your information available.

This thread stays open about a week, so if other questions come up, please do not hesitate to contact me.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. I hope I have provided you the information you were seeking. If you’re satisfied with my assistance, your 5-star rating at this time is most welcome.

If you need more help or have any further questions, please let me know so I can continue to assist you.

Sue

Sue
Sue, Family Law Attorney