How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Gerald-Esquire Your Own Question
Gerald-Esquire, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 4181
Experience:  30 years of experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Gerald-Esquire is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My niece in Florida is on SSi, and her 24-year old mentally

This answer was rated:

My niece in Florida is on SSi, and her 24-year old mentally disabled daughter is also. Her husband is the "guardian" or representative. He is perfectly able bodied, but he hasn't worked in about 2 years. He is living off of both of their SSI payments, and also is physically abusive. Is their someone at Social Security to report this? My sister, my niece's mother, told me about this last week. I talked to my niece and she has corroborated everything. This is really an emergency.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Largo, Florida - Pinellas County I think
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No, I tried looking online for a pro-bono lawyer. They have absolutely no money.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes, time is of the essence. Her husband never reported to Social Security when they had to get out of their house. They lived with their oldest daughter for a little while. Now they are living with the husband's brother and they have to get out by this Thursday. My niece has no where to go and no money to go either. Husband has not given her any money for over a year even for her medications. She had 4 mini strokes and 1 major stroke about a year and a half ago, and is still suffering from the results. He cooks food for himself, but he doesn't provide my niece with any.

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am working on your answer now. Please bear with me it may take a few minutes.


Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow-up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

Your niece and her son are the victims of abuse. You may be able to start the process to get her help by reporting the situation to Adult Protective Services.

You can make the report through the following link:

Also they may be able to get housing assistance and other services through the County Human Services agency. See this link:

Your niece must be willing to take the steps necessary to help herself. Many people stay in abusive situations because they are afraid to move forward. It is an understandable fear but nevertheless she must overcome it.

As far as legal assistance she is very likely eligible for free assistance through Legal Aid. She can reach legal aid here:

But her primary needs right now are social services to get her into a shelter or halfway house and to get her away from her husband.


Also see:

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow-up questions, feel free to ask.

If you ask a follow-up question and I do not respond immediately, it is because I am temporarily unavailable. I promise to respond as soon as I return. Please note that I am often unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response, PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or, if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you, and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,


Gerald-Esquire and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you