Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I have a 1yr old son who I have raise my self for the last 8…

Customer Question
I have a 1yr old...
I have a 1yr old son who I have raise my self for the last 8 months while mom was in jail. I let her get him half the time when she got out now she doesn't let me pick him up. What can I do?
I went to court but told me to go back in about 3 week for a "workshop" which would Mean I which would mean I can't see him is there anything I can do till then
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Family Law
9/24/2017
Family Lawyer: RayAnswers, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

I am assuming you have filed a paternity suit here.You will need to complete the parenting workshop and then court may award you legal custody and/or visitation.You were the primary caretaker and you have legal rights.But you are likely going to have to complete the class before court will hear this since you are not married.I wish I could tell you otherwise but the court decides when you get legal custody and visitation and the parenting class is mandatory.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.I wish you the best I know it is frustrating.You will get to see son soon.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Oh the workshop is a few classes?
How is the whole process what does it consist of