Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I left my husband (unemployed, 58 years old)in the state of…

Customer Question
I left my husband...

I left my husband (unemployed, 58 years old)in the state of ct 2 months ago. I am living with my sis in San Diego. I was hoping to find a full-time job for health insurance for my family (including the husband that I don't want to be with) We have three kids--two are out of the house (my son almost died of an overdoes in July and after all kinds of rehab throughout the year, just moved into a sober living home in Portland--my oldest daughter is a senior at Cornell) and one, a sixteen year old still lives at home. My name is ***** ***** house as well as his. I am thinking of moving back because I am not getting any information from him about things going on with the 16 year old. She hasn't spoken to me in 8 months. I'm terribly confused and want to do the right thing for my kids. I left impulsively although I had spoken about it for quite some time. I'm an adjunct prof and there are no jobs in Connecticut. Should I move back into the house to protect myself financially?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Not yet. going to make some calls tomorrow

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't think so. It's a messed up situation. I was trying to stay until my daughter graduated high school--we wanted to stay in our town in Fairfield county until that happened.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because education law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Connecticut. Fairfield County

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Family Law
9/24/2017
Family Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
If you want to separate you don’t need to move back in and are not compromised financially. You should retain family law counsel to negotiate and if needed pursue through court an agreement on support and distribution of assets. martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options. You can begin by preparing an inventory of known assets for your lawyer. By being prepared and pressing your claim, the other side should feel the pressure and consider the risk of losing and legal fees. That realization can help bring about a settlement! Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Are there any reasons I should file for separation in one state over another? I have not done anything change my address and I feel I may need to go back because of my daughter but is there anything I should know about the difference between Cali and CT as far as divorce goes?
I only have a part-time job. does this site not answer questions re: legal separation or divorce?
Ely, Counselor at Law