Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I am looking for someone who can help with a question in…

Customer Question
Hello I am looking...

Hello I am looking for someone who can help with a question in reference to a nursing , I have a poa on my mom who is 79 and she was sent to a facility on 9/15/17 to 9/20/17 and during that time a few things happened to her and I need answers

Lawyer's Assistant: Can you tell me what state this is in? And just to clarify, what paperwork has been filed?

Jacksonville Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

As far as a police report no ..She is currently under hospice vitas and it was reported to them , I have made several attempts to contact the administrator of the facility and I keep gettting told she isn't available or she's on a conference call.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The problem I have with the facility is they seat belt restrained my mom who has advanced dementia and a hearing problem , I was not notifed of this till the next day , She was also given 2 shots 1 being the flu and the other a pneumonia shot again no one contacted me to ask me if she had ever had these shots , then upon the day of her release I went to pick her up and she had a infection on the left side of her face , which I found out from her doc was the start of shingles , in which her doc noted it was from stress , again no one called me to tell me she was sick . I don't understand how if I have a poa on her why I was not notified of any of this. Also from the time she was picked up from her home to be transported to the facility somewhere during that time and the time she was released they lost her walker . I feel my mom has been tramatized by all this , since coming home she is afraid to go to the bathroom as she is afraid of falling . I have a voice mail from the girl who is OT @ the facility stating she restrained my mom , but again it was after the fact . The day she was released I was told I had to sign the admission papers when I refused to sign the paper on the restraint and the shots I got told if I didn't sign the paper's hospice would not pay for her stay , and it didn't matter as the 2 papers I was refusing to sign had already been done to her. So my question is . Can they do this without my permission if I have a poa on mom . ?

Lawyer's Assistant: What confuses you?

Im not confused ?

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Family Law
9/24/2017
Family Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 10 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If you have PoA and admitted her for treatment, they do not need to call for every little treatment they give her, just like a hospital, the hospital gets a general consent to treat upon admission and then needs permission for any major procedures. It would take the facility hours every day to call every single PoA to ask permission to take blood or give flu shots or to take ordinary treatment measures for every patient they have and that is unreasonable and it is not required. However, you do not have to sign consenting to restraint and facilities are only allowed to use minimal restraint to prevent injury to the patient and they can do that with orders from the doctor.

So, you can have a complaint for the restraint without consent or doctor's orders and also potentially for not treating the shingles if that is the case. You would complain to the state department of health which regulates these facilities.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.