Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Can my adult child's grandparents prevent her from visiting…

Customer Question
Can my adult child's...

Can my adult child's grandparents prevent her from visiting or speaking with me?

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No. I want to know if that's even legal.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

She has been suffering from psychosis and they are manipulating her in thinking that she is not allowed to visit me by herself.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Family Law
9/23/2017
Family Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a CA licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. The answer to your question is yes, only if the grandparents have conservatorship over the person. This means that they would have the official authority by a California court to make decisions on behalf of your child. If that is not the case, then they cannot prevent you from seeing your child at all. Your child is the only one who would be able to consent or not to consent to seeing you at all. I know it is a short answer, but I know you asked a very straightforward question.

Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.