Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Can i file domestic violence charges against a person who…

Customer Question
Can i file domestic...

Can i file domestic violence charges against a person who hit me and who i am not married to or do not live with?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Ohio

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

The police came and told me i could not file domestic violence charges against the person who hit me - he lives in the next apartment from me

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Family Law
9/23/2017
Family Lawyer: JD 1992, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Please allow me several minutes to read your facts and type my response.

If you receive a notice or email regarding a phone call for an extra price that comes directly from the website and not from me and I have no control over the sending of the notice or email. I don't take part in the telephone program and only work through this format and under your facts this format should be sufficient.

Unfortunately, they are correct although there are other charges possible.

Domestic violence in Ohio is defined as:

"(1) "Domestic violence" means the occurrence of one or more of the following acts against a family or household member:

(a) Attempting to cause or recklessly causing bodily injury;

(b) Placing another person by the threat of force in fear of imminent serious physical harm or committing a violation of section 2903.211 or 2911.211 of the Revised Code;

(c) Committing any act with respect to a child that would result in the child being an abused child, as defined in section 2151.031 of the Revised Code;

(d) Committing a sexually oriented offense."

"

You can still file assault charges, etc. The exact charge depends on the exact facts.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a 5 Star Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow-up questions in this thread. I want to be sure all of your questions are answered.

WHEN A PERSON HITS ME, CAN I HAVE THE POLICE FILE ABUSE CHARGES?

You can have them file assault charges. Abuse is not really a crime in and of itself under facts like yours.