Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

In my divorce papers it says that my wife is ti get a Qdro…

Customer Question
In my divorce papers...

In my divorce papers it says that my wife is ti get a Qdro of $840.00 a month. I am giving her that money each month but the QDRO was never filed with my company. Who's responsibility is it to file the QDRO?i

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

New York

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

I went through the entire divorce and my lawyer never made it clear who had to file the QDRO

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/23/2017
Family Lawyer: RayAnswers, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

It is her responsibility here.You can cease payments until she gets it drafted and filed and employer pays it directly.Legally you are not required to pay here until such time as she completes the QDRO gets it signed and filed.You might save several payments this might take 3 months or so.She needs to complete it if she wants to get paid here.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Let me add those payments would not be made up here, if it takes her 6 months to get this done you save 6 months of payments.Thats a nice chunk the ex here didn't finish up the divorce.