How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 42871
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 61 years old and no kids and was just informed by my

This answer was rated:

I am 61 years old and no kids and was just informed by my niece that on Facebook a second cousin of mine had a DNA match from from someone as a second or third cousin removed, that lives in California. She claims that her mom left Lake Tahoe where I also lived 30 years ago as soon as she got pregnant and never notified the father and all she told here is her father's name is***** is mine name. While messaging my niece she claims her mom got into drugs bad in and out of treatment and lived on the street, so she was raised by her Grand parents, which both passed on a while back. I am stunned and excited but what my wife wanted me to find out is if I went down there to meet her could I be subject to any back child support or anything else from the state of California or any other sources. I never knew of any possible child of mine till earlier in the week when this all came out.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Sure California is the only state that doesn't have a statute of limitations here for paternity.

CA Statute of Limitations on Back Child Support Payments (Arrears)

California has no statute of limitations on past due child support payments; child support is enforceable until paid in full.

CA Statute of Limitations on Determining Paternity

There is no statute of limitations on establishing paternity. Paternity can be established at any time.

You decide whether you want to go here or not.It is unlikely they want support but I cannot rule it out under the law.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Thanks.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Is it only the parent that raised the child that can demand it or can the child demand it also.
Customer: replied 28 days ago.
does this mean it's $57 extra from the price I already paid?
Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Can you answer the above question

It would be the parent not the child.I really don't think that is their motive but the law in California is strange and unlimited.As long as mother is alive she could seek child support.

Let me know if you have more be happy to chat online.No need for a call here.Just rate when we are done.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Do you have any idea how much this could amount to over all of this time, I appreciate your help.

It would be a serious chunk of change maybe $40-$50k or so 18 years minimum $245 or so a month.

Thanks again and thanks for rating 5 stars.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Thanks Ray. Even though the Grand parents raised her not her mom, if her mom found out could she still demand it and possibly get it?

It is possible under the law.

RayAnswers and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you