Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I am 61 years old and no kids and was just informed by my…

I am 61 years old...
I am 61 years old and no kids and was just informed by my niece that on Facebook a second cousin of mine had a DNA match from ancestry.com from someone as a second or third cousin removed, that lives in California. She claims that her mom left Lake Tahoe where I also lived 30 years ago as soon as she got pregnant and never notified the father and all she told here is her father's name is***** is mine name. While messaging my niece she claims her mom got into drugs bad in and out of treatment and lived on the street, so she was raised by her Grand parents, which both passed on a while back. I am stunned and excited but what my wife wanted me to find out is if I went down there to meet her could I be subject to any back child support or anything else from the state of California or any other sources. I never knew of any possible child of mine till earlier in the week when this all came out.
9/23/2017
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Sure California is the only state that doesn't have a statute of limitations here for paternity.

CA Statute of Limitations on Back Child Support Payments (Arrears)

California has no statute of limitations on past due child support payments; child support is enforceable until paid in full.

CA Statute of Limitations on Determining Paternity

There is no statute of limitations on establishing paternity. Paternity can be established at any time.

You decide whether you want to go here or not.It is unlikely they want support but I cannot rule it out under the law.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Thanks.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Is it only the parent that raised the child that can demand it or can the child demand it also.
does this mean it's $57 extra from the price I already paid?
Can you answer the above question

It would be the parent not the child.I really don't think that is their motive but the law in California is strange and unlimited.As long as mother is alive she could seek child support.

Let me know if you have more be happy to chat online.No need for a call here.Just rate when we are done.

Do you have any idea how much this could amount to over all of this time, I appreciate your help.

It would be a serious chunk of change maybe $40-$50k or so 18 years minimum $245 or so a month.

Thanks again and thanks for rating 5 stars.

Thanks Ray. Even though the Grand parents raised her not her mom, if her mom found out could she still demand it and possibly get it?

It is possible under the law.

RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer