Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I have a family law question. I'm in Orange County

Customer Question
Hi. I have a family...
Hi. I have a family law question. I'm in Orange County California. My ex filed a Request for Order for reimbursement/payment of unpaid Spousal Support and extra-curricular expenses. The initial hearing was on 8/16, which I attended and argued my position, but we ran out of time and were scheduled to reappear on 9/5. I inadvertently missed that court date. I checked back the next day with the court and nothing was in the system. I reached out to both my ex and her attorney, but received no response. I kept following up and finally the unsigned Minute Order showed up in the system. It states basically that the judge ruled against me (almost like a default judgement). I am unable to pay the amount in the Minute Order and want to find out what my next steps are.
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Family Law
9/23/2017
Family Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 9 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. I want to let you know ahead of time that I have to run, but I am usually on the site at least once every 24 hours so if you have a follow up questions, feel free to ask and I’ll follow up with you. So, in your case, the best thing that you can do is request that the judge set aside the previous order. Here is some useful information directly from the state of California courts website. In essence, the court will set aside the order if:

The order was made against you because of your own “mistake, inadvertence, surprise, or excusable neglect.” The law discussing this is Code of Civil Procedure, section 473(b).

• This means if a court order order was made against you because you:

• Misunderstood the facts or the law and your misunderstanding was reasonable and justifiable (and more than just not knowing the law), or

• Were unexpectedly surprised or failed to act in time because you relied on someone else acting, or you had the wrong information, or you were unable to understand what to do.

• For these situations, and other similar ones, you must have had a valid reason for your actions (or inaction).

• There is no clear-cut description of what a judge will agree is a valid reason to set aside an order in these cases. In your paperwork, you will have to (1) describe, as clearly as possible, why you did not answer the papers in time, (2) explain why you had a good reason or excuse, and (3) why you should be allowed to respond to the original petition or other document and participate in your case.

• Talk to a lawyer, your court’s self-help center or family law facilitator for help explaining your reason for asking to set aside the order.

• The fact that you are self-represented is not an excuse for making a mistake.

• The deadline for filing a request for order to set aside under this law is 6 months from the date the order was made against you. Deadlines can be tricky to figure out so make sure you get help to find out the exact deadline for your situation.

To do this, all you have to do is get some 28 line pleading paper and request it with the judge. It’ll be up to the judge to set aside the order and they may call a hearing as a result.

Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

Okay, I am planning to file a Motion to Vacate Judgement, but do I need to wait for anything additional to be filed with the court? Right now all I have is a Minute Order that was not signed. Also, it doesn't not call for anything additional to be filed on behalf of the Petitioner. It was my understanding that there needs to be a Notice of Entry of Judgment before a judgement can be enforced and/or appealed or vacated. I'd like to move on this quickly, but I'm unsure if I need to wait for anything additional from the court or the Petitioner's attorney. I'm also concerned because the Minute Order states that payments are to begin on 10/1/17. Thanks.

Hello, thanks for your patience. I would wait until a judgment is rendered and then submit it. Usually the entry of judgment is posted within about a week after the minute order. if you're prepared, you'll be in good shape. Thanks again.