Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My son-in-law has filed for divorce and he has attached a…

Customer Question
My son-in-law has filed...

My son-in-law has filed for divorce and he has attached a document that is false. he is trying to get out of paying child support or wants it to be as low as he can get it. so he states he makes less money then he really does.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

New Mexico.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No not yet but I was wanting to know what statute this would be under so I could read it.

Submitted: 12 months ago.Category: Family Law
9/22/2017
Family Lawyer: JD 1992, Lawyer replied 12 months ago
JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Please allow me several minutes to read your facts and type my response.

If you receive a notice or email regarding a phone call for an extra price that comes directly from the website and not from me and I have no control over the sending of the notice or email. I don't take part in the telephone program and only work through this format and under your facts this format should be sufficient.

What statute is what under?

Providing a district court with false documents

It really depends on exactly what happens and what the document states but the statute that usually applies is perjury which is covered by NM Stat Sec. 30-25-1 which you can read at http://law.justia.com/codes/new-mexico/2011/chapter30/article25/section30-25-1

It can also be fraud and some others but perjury is the charge that can always be relied on.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a 5 Star Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow-up questions in this thread. I want to be sure all of your questions are answered.