How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JD 1992 Your Own Question
JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33904
Experience:  Began practicing Family Law in 1992
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
JD 1992 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was adopted from the Shoshone Bannock Indian reservation

This answer was rated:

I was adopted from the Shoshone Bannock Indian reservation when I was four, they gave me a new birth certificate and sealed my original. Im trying to enroll myself and my daughter in the tribe,I can't do so until I break the seal on my original birth certificate.Who do I get too help me do this?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Idaho
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: I can't find anyone who does this law,Ive called tons of law firms
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: not that I can think of

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Please allow me several minutes to read your facts and type my response.

If you receive a notice or email regarding a phone call for an extra price that comes directly from the website and not from me and I have no control over the sending of the notice or email. I don't take part in the telephone program and only work through this format and under your facts this format should be sufficient.

Were you adopted through the regular courts or through a tribal court?

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
Customer: replied 25 days ago.

Any family lawyer should know how to file a Motion to Unseal. You would first have to unsal the adoption file and then, if the info isn't there that you need, then you can file to unseal the birth certificate. However, normally the adoption file itself will provide the information.

You should be able to find one at and in the section for Area of Practice enter "Family Law".

The lawyers you have spoken to may be thinking that they have to file in tribal court and very few lawyers do that type of work because the law is so different.

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** good day

You're very welcome.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a 5 Star Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow-up questions in this thread. I want to be sure all of your questions are answered.

JD 1992 and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you very much for allowing me to assist you. While the answers I give can't always be "good news", since the law can't always be favorable to everyone, I do strive to be as accurate as possible and to answer any follow up questions to the best of my ability.

You may receive a survey of some kind in the next day or so regarding your experience here at JustAnswer. Please be advised that I am responsible for the content of my answers but not with the issues of website performance or anything other than the answer. I hope that you will consider issuing a Positive Rating regarding my service to you so that I can continue helping others.

If I can ever provide assistance to you in the future please feel free to ask for me by starting your new question with "FOR DWAYNE B ONLY" and I will pick up as soon as I see the question.