Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I need to divorce my ex but cannot afford it up front, can i…

Customer Question
I need to divorce...

I need to divorce my ex but cannot afford it up front, can i find a pro bono divorce lawyer or at least one that will defer my payments until the divorce is settled?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

My ex and i have agreed to certain terms verbally but I don't know if once he is served if he will contest the divorce or not No i haven't spoken with any attorneys as I have been trying to get back on my feet since our separation back in Oct 2016

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We own a home together. It is not financed. He promised me half but I have a feeling he may try to pull something shady.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Family Law
9/22/2017
Family Lawyer: FamilyAnswer, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good afternoon. Yes, it is possible. All attorneys are encouraged to take cases pro bono, so you can contact local family law attorneys and see if they will take the case. If not, you can ask them if they will take it at a reduced rate or take the case with a deposit/retainer and then have you pay the balance owed, once the divorce is final and you get money. It would be at their discretion to do this.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!