Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I live in Alaska and we recently found out that our 15 year…

Customer Question
I live in Alaska...

I live in Alaska and we recently found out that our 15 year old daughter had sex with a boy that was 17, he'll be 18 on or about October 8. I read through the statutory rape laws in AK. and their seems to be a gray area with respect to the close in age exemption. This boy won't leave her alone and we are contemplating reporting the incident but want to be informed before doing so.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I think that is all.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Family Law
9/21/2017
Family Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Here's the statute for sexual abuse of a minor in the second degree. As you can see, if he is over 16 and she is under 16, he could be charged with a serious sex offense for having intercourse with your daughter. BUT there would have to be more than 4 years between them, and unfortunately there is not. He cannot face charges for statutory rape.

That said, if he's harassing/stalking her, you can report that and get a protective order which would keep him from being able to bother her further.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.