Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Leased a car under my own name before filing for divorce.

Customer Question
Down payment was money donated...
Leased a car under my own name before filing for divorce. Down payment was money donated by my family. Does husband have any right to it?
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Family Law
9/21/2017
Family Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

Generally, the courts in your state will look at property that was acquired during marriage and try to split it equally upon divorce. Typically, if a party receives funds as a gift from a family member solely to them (i.e. if it is money left in a will, trust funds, or small personal items) it is usually not subject to equitable division. In your case, if the money was given to you specifically as a gift for the down payment on a leased vehicle, there is a very low probability that the court will consider your vehicle to be equitably distributable. The only exception would be if you’re suing marital funds to make the payments and the amount of money you’ve paid using those funds.

Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.