Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I am wondering about Michigan Grandparents' rights. I have…

Customer Question
I am wondering about...

I am wondering about Michigan Grandparents' rights. I have been refused access to my grandsons by my daughter no less, but now she has left her husband for another man and divorced and my son-in-law does not return my emails, etc. My daughter decided I was evil and was "manipulating" the children after my X-husband walked out on me 5 years ago.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Michigan as stated above.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No. I read that the kids had to be divorced in order to have any chance...

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Well it is a long story, but basically my husband turned my daughters against me it would seem, and then my daughter decided I was a bad influence on the kids, even though it was ok for me to be taking care of them before this all happened.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/21/2017
Family Lawyer: Longhorn Lawyer, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Longhorn Lawyer

Hello! Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** have over 12 years of legal experience.

During this conversation, you might experience some delays while I work with several customers at the same time, or I am preparing a response to you. Please do not click Opt Out expecting a faster response. This results in more delays while waiting for another Expert. I assure you I will help you in due time. Thank you in advance for your patience and understanding.

When was the last time you took care of the children?

Five and 1/2 years ago when she stopped letting me see them. Oldest is now 11. I saw them last when I stopped by their home unannounced 12/24/2015.

OK, and when was the divorce?

Mine was May 2012; daughter and her husband divorced this year, not sure when.

Thank you for your patience. Your answer is below. When you get your answers, you will be asked to give a rating - 4 or 5 stars are appreciated. This is important because this is how I credit for doing my job. Don't worry, you can still ask related follow-up questions even after you've given a rating. Thank you!

ANSWER: Your divorce is irrelevant. It's the divorce of the parents of the children that is relevant.

Under Section 722.27b of the Child Custody Act, a grandparent can petition for visitation with the grandchildren if the parents of the children are divorced. You file in the circuit court of the county that has continuing jurisdiction over the child. The court will consider the following:

• Is the visitation time in the best interest of your grandchild?
  • Is there a prior relationship between you and your grandchild?
  • Are there emotional ties between you and your grandchild?

You can find the statute, including the procedural information here: http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(0vrxavrueofy35f0hivxokg0))/mileg.aspx?page=getObject&objectName=mcl-722-27b

I hope that answers your questions. Please remember to give me credit for doing my job by clicking on 4 or 5 stars at the top of your screen.

A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today. And remember, you can still ask follow-up questions if you need to.

If you want to talk on the phone, I am available to do that for an additional fee.

And if you have new questions in the future, you should write FOR JAMES in the question. That way, I become your personal Professional.

Thank you!

Longhorn Lawyer
Longhorn Lawyer
Longhorn Lawyer, Lawyer