Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My daughter is 14 and said that an 18 year old boy raped…

Customer Question
My daughter is 14...

My daughter is 14 and said that an 18 year old boy raped her. This 18 year old boy also gave her alcohol now he says that the sex was consensual what can I do and what charges can he face

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

North Carolina

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No only the police they said they are handling it along with the DA. Do I need a lawyer

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not at this time...just that she had been drinking

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Family Law
9/21/2017
Family Lawyer: Longhorn Lawyer, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Longhorn Lawyer

Hello! Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** have over 12 years of legal experience.

During this conversation, you might experience some delays while I work with several customers at the same time, or I am preparing a response to you. Please do not click Opt Out expecting a faster response. This results in more delays while waiting for another Expert. I assure you I will help you in due time. Thank you in advance for your patience and understanding.

Thank you for your patience. Your answer is below. When you get your answers, you will be asked to give a rating - 4 or 5 stars are appreciated. This is important because this is how I credit for doing my job. Don't worry, you can still ask related follow-up questions even after you've given a rating. Thank you!

ANSWER: In NC, a defendant is guilty of the crime of "Statutory rape or sexual offense of a person who is 13-15 years old" (a Class C felony) if he engages in vaginal intercourse or a sexual act with another person who is 13, 14, or 15 years old and the defendant is more than four but less than six years older than the person, except when the defendant is lawfully married to the person.

There is nothing to prove other than that he is more than 4 years older (can't be 4 years or less of an age difference, due to the "close-in-age" exemption) and that vaginal sex happened. Consent is not an element of the law because according to NC statues, a child under the age of 16 (i.e., your daughter) is unable to form consent.

If this does not meet those requirements, then a criminal charge for rape will have to be filed, and there would be a criminal trial if the DA files charges. Consent would then be an issue.

I hope that answers your questions. Please remember to give me credit for doing my job by clicking on 4 or 5 stars at the top of your screen.

A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today. And remember, you can still ask follow-up questions if you need to.

If you want to talk on the phone, I am available to do that for an additional fee.

And if you have new questions in the future, you should write FOR JAMES in the question. That way, I become your personal Professional.

Thank you!

Hi, I’m just checking in to see how things are going. I see you have reviewed my answer but I have not received credit for it. Do you need more help? Please respond so that I know what to do next.

Thank you!