Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My ex lost his job (high paying) and appears to have no

Customer Question
My ex lost his...

My ex lost his job (high paying) and appears to have no problems with spousal support payment, yet his attorney has not notified me of a new employer. I typically have an earnings assignment order for support. Is ex required to disclose how is is able to make support payments while unemployed? I believe he is using a large inheritance that he failed to disclose to the court as well.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

We were in litigation for two years at a cost of 200K for me. I ended my relationship with my attorney because our case was settled. I'd rather just get the information without it costing me thousands of dollars.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just that he won't file a modification or a termination because he also bought a second home in Hawaii and hid that from the court as well.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Family Law
9/21/2017
Family Lawyer: JD 1992, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Please allow me several minutes to read your facts and type my response.

If you receive a notice or email regarding a phone call for an extra price that comes directly from the website and not from me and I have no control over the sending of the notice or email. I don't take part in the telephone program and only work through this format and under your facts this format should be sufficient.

Your question was: Is ex required to disclose how is is able to make support payments while unemployed?

The answer to that is no, not unless there is a specific court order in placing telling him to do so. There is no law requiring it but judge can issue an order requiring almost anything.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a 5 Star Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow-up questions in this thread. I want to be sure all of your questions are answered.