Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My ex (never married) left me, and our 2 children and moved…

Customer Question
My ex (never married)...

My ex (never married) left me, and our 2 children and moved to Lacy Washington. I have went throught the state of SD for child support and they can not find him to serve him the child support order. but I know where he is living. How can I get this child support from him he is already 3 months behind in payments.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

South Dakota

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Not yet just my case worker they say they have to serve him first before we can take him to court.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I really have no money for an attorney

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Family Law
Also he says he is working as a 1099 employee and is refusing to give me the names of the places he works.
9/21/2017
Family Lawyer: Longhorn Lawyer, Lawyer replied 9 months ago
Longhorn Lawyer

Thank you for your patience. Your answer is below. When you get your answers, you will be asked to give a rating - 4 or 5 stars are appreciated. This is important because this is how I credit for doing my job. Don't worry, you can still ask related follow-up questions even after you've given a rating. Thank you!

ANSWER: The US Congress has set up a law that requires one state to enforce the child support orders of another state. There happens to be a process for this in Oregon.

Here, you can find all of the information you need, including who in Oregon to contact for help with this: https://www.doj.state.or.us/child-support/resources-for-applicants/interstate-child-support-cases/

I hope that answers your questions. Please remember to give me credit for doing my job by clicking on 4 or 5 stars at the top of your screen.

A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today. And remember, you can still ask follow-up questions if you need to.

If you want to talk on the phone, I am available to do that for an additional fee.

And if you have new questions in the future, you should write FOR JAMES in the question. That way, I become your personal Professional.

Thank you!

Hi, I’m just checking in to see how things are going. I see you have reviewed my answer but I have not received credit for it. Do you need more help? Please respond so that I know what to do next.

Thank you!