Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I need to get a court order to retrieve my car from an ex.

Customer Question
Hi, I need to get...
Hi, I need to get a court order to retrieve my car from an ex. The car is titled in my name. How do I start the process? I live in Texas.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Family Law
9/21/2017
Family Lawyer: FamilyAnswer, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Can you share with me a little more about the situation? Were you ordered the car in the divorce or when you say Ex, you mean an ex boyfriend/girlfriend?

It's an ex-girlfriend. I had to refi the car in my name only in order to avoid reposession because she lost her job and can no longer make payments. I'm now the titled owner and have made 2 payments on the car so far with my new refi. She was charged with assault FV and there is an order of protection in place so I need a civil standby in order to get the car. Because we live in different cities/addresses, the constable said I can only get a civil standby with a court order.

Yes, you would need to file a motion with the court, advising of the situation. You would need to show that the vehicle belongs to you and you are the owner and need to retrieve it but as a result of the protection order, this could be an issue.

Ely, Counselor at Law