How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 118635
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a friend whose husband left the house for 4 months

This answer was rated:

I have a friend whose husband left the house for 4 months and did not provide any money for his wife. But he left her in the house. If she files for divorce but having no money, how does she do it?

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

She can go to legal aid for assistance if she wants an attorney. Also, if she has no money, they can file with the court to waive the filing fees based on her financial condition. Because he has taken off, she can claim abandonment and she can even seek a motion for spousal support, but she really will need a local attorney, so legal aid would be the place to start and also calling the GA Bar and asking them for the pro bono attorneys in the area to assist her.

If he has assets, also some family law attorneys in the area will agree to work for her and get a court order against her husband to make him pay the fees.

So these are the options she has available to her to get divorced as well as support.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Law Educator, Esq. and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you