Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I reside in germany. a couple of days ago..finally after 25…

Customer Question
Hello. I reside in...

Hello. I reside in germany. a couple of days ago..finally after 25 years my daughter came to me. the last 10 she was addicted to heroin and in my ex husbands care after he took her from me. at the age of 4 I took her to berlin /germany to teach her the language. my ex went to court that time and applied for sole custody. me not aware and not living there , didn't go to court and custody was awarded. with papers in hand he then went to the sheriff in California / LA and stated that I kidnapped her. I was charged. he came to berlin and ranked her out of my arms in German court. it was very traumatic on my part as well as hers. he lied to courts here in Germany. he was supposed to take care yet neglected her all the way. she has no high school diploma and like I said has been a heroin addict the past 10 years. I ..from here was able to get her to Mexico where she underwent a ibogaine treatment. she collapsed again. now that I have her here , I like to keep her and sue him for mental anguish ,cruelty towards her and me. she should be entitled to a future . please..can you help me? ps: I am not rich. christiane schulze Solomon :***@******.***

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California / LA

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

She just arrived 5 days ago and is going cold turkey..I am taking care of her right now

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Family Law
9/21/2017
Family Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 11 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Under CA law, federal laws and laws of all US states, there is something called a statute of limitations for filing causes of action. The CA law for statute of limitations on this cause of action would be 3 years from when your daughter turned 18 and could have filed suit on her own or 3 years from the date all of this occurred for you to sue.

If this all happened 25 years ago, I am very sorry, but while you may have likely had grounds to sue him back when it happened, legally now you would be prevented from filing suit even though you may have won back then if you sued in time.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.